Activity Record Generator Version 1
The ARG™ has the capacity to consider multiple community specific and activity related parameters. This flexibility allows for the user to investigate the impact of one or several activities on a population and permits for the activity list to be structured in such a way that activities occur together or independently.
The ARG™ is structured into three distinct parts. The first requires the user to define the activity information relevant to the population. The next part requires information regarding materials that “deliver” the substance of interest to the people in the population. These materials will always be things contacted by people in the population in their living environments and could include things like grass, air, or cosmetics for example. Finally, the last part generates the activity profile file and provides feedback regarding that file.
The majority of the data needed to synthesize an ARG™ file allow the user to supply unique data suited to the population for which the assessment is being performed. Additionally, there is the option to use default data, which is supplied for the user’s convenience in the model. All default data used in the model is visible to the user and can be amended when appropriate.
These data are needed to synthesize an ARG™ file:
- Activity(ies) relevant to the question being investigated and population
- Ages of the population performing the activity (Age ranges in years or months)
- Hand to mouth data (events per hour)
- Exertion Level (Inhalation rate – m3/hr and optional caloric expenditure entered in kcal/hour)
- Probability of an activity occurring (value between 0 and 1)
- Duration of Activity (minutes)
- Activity frequency (events per day or time period of interest)
- Clothing worn during activity
- List of material(s) associated with each activity
- Surface characteristics of each material (proportion of material that actually touches the skin)
- Body contact area
- Contact rate with the material (contacts per hour)
- Duration of contact with the material (minutes)
- Information regarding whether the activities included in the activity list comprise a whole day’s worth of activities or a partial day’s worth of activities
For most of the parameters required by the ARG™ model, data can be entered as a point value, a distribution, or as user-supplied values. The model includes the choice of log normal, normal, triangular, pareto, and uniform distributions. If the user has data from another distribution or a set of data points, the user can either type-in the individual values or copy and paste them into the model. The user is responsible for selecting the appropriate distribution for their data.
The user does have the option to view data entry errors at any time during the data entry process. The view errors report will show the user if he/she has missing data or data that are not in the correct format. This allows the user to return to any screen and make changes to or add missing data.
The file that results from running the ARG™ is an activity file that can be used in the Community Based Exposure and Risk Assessment Software™ (C-BAS). Using a community specific ARG™ file in the C-BAS™ software permits the user to investigate potential exposures and risks to the population from substances of concern in the environment where these activities occur.